Saturday, November 19, 2005

The ugliness at football games

Well, I attended the game afterall. Tech vs OU. And I was glad I went. It turned out to be the best game yet.

The points were close, down to the final seconds. And Tech won. They have a chance to go to a bowl game.

But what made an otherwise great time in the blustery cold were the annoying fans that felt obliged to give a blow-by-blow play-by-play. I'm all for enthusiasm and rooting for the home team. Point your gun-finger salute when the school band plays the game fight song, scream for the touchdown, clap till the hands bleed. That's all fine and dandy. I, afterall, do a great amount of whooping and hollering at plays, good and bad. But I don't do what they do.

At every home game, I've know-it-all commentators in the row behind ours, calling out "Go, D (as in defense)!", and calling out to the quarterback and defensive linemen et al how to play the next shot. I know they are intelligent enough to know the players can't hear them. I know they may be more enthusiastic than me. But do they realize they are plain annoying to those who want to see the game?

Maybe I don't have the spirit for the game. Maybe I'm too uptight. I suppose if everyone behaves civilized like me, the stadium will be as hush-hush as a study hall, and all waves will die. Maybe I'm just a killjoy.

How do you behave/react at games?

And don't get me started on those fellas who upon seeing the good seats available and are yet to be occupied (I had shown up late at a few games in the past) decide to take them until the person who purchased these high-priced seats come by.

No comments: