Thursday, December 1, 2005

Be nice to us cos ...

We almost met our makers today.

We were taking a leisurely drive after lunch along the boondocks outside downtown. I, the driver, was approaching the green light. And as I neared the crossing line, two cars from the adjacent streets to my right started to cross, too. One red truck was on the right turn lane. Its driver did a rolling stop and made a sharp right. Meanwhile, another car, which had obviously been idling in the middle lane the whole time during the red light prior my approach, decided to make a run for it.

What transpired next was truly surreal.

I was driving at regular speed toward the car from the middle lane. In a spilt second, I was zig-zagging and steering as hard to the left as possible, while at the same time, keeping my eye on the side of the other car.

The nose of my car was so close to the driver's side of that car I thought I was going to pin M against it. I couldn't remember if we were silent or cussing the whole time the scene unfolded.

I thought I recall that car seemed to slow down or even pause as I was steering to the hard left.

When our cars were parallel to each other, it zoomed off. I didn't feel the contact between the vehicles.

But we pulled into a gas station.

Can you believe we, pasengers and car, escaped unscathed?

Although it would be nice if our car got hit cuz we needed a little detailing work on the back passenger door when I scratched it against a bank drive-through post.

No comments: