Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Will you still respect me in the morning?

Recently, I took an aptitude test at Prudential Investment, you know, The Rock. The test is a two-parter, one character and one along the lines of the GRE Math.

I got a call today to return for an interview. Apparently, I did so well in both parts that they want to talk to me about being certified as a money manager.

I am stoked at the chance of breaking into this lucrative field, and more so, that now I'm at this stage in my life that I am freaking out about retirement, I am actually interested in finance. I even renewed my subscription to Money magazine a few months ago.

Hence, the question. Will I still have your awe and admiration if I switched gears? Don't worry, I won't come after you to buy life insurance, Roth, funds unless you truly want me to.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jeremy: Of course you will :) And you have my total respect. ANd I'm sure I'll be trying to get free advice from you :) Changing careers is not easy but it will be worth it if you truly would like to get into the field.

Patrick: Were I the type of person to hold a grudge against someone who is leaving an industry that is collapsing, then yes.

Dan: t's hilarious, one of my friends here and I were discussing money last night. As in, I don't have any right now.

It's funny how journalists talk of money in alternately dreamy and disdainful tones ... boy, having money would be great but I'm a journalist, so we won't ever get paid, etc., etc.

So go for it. At least take the interview. The worst thing that can happen is that they're not doing what you thought they were, and you're right back where you are.

Buena suerte!

No comments: