Thursday, August 16, 2007

Internet creeps

I thought I'd make a little extra by offering piano lessons at my place. So I posted on Craigslist. And this is what I got back:

Hello.....

Am Mrs Howard Rose. I am from U.K my son is coming
for an holiday in your area, He's name is Daniel is 14
years old and so i don't want her to be less busy in
the time of the day. i have decide to let he attending
your lesson , so he will be coming 1 hour in a day
(10am to 11am) in the morning or time that you will be
chance. so i want you to calculate the cost of 1 hour
per day for Monday, Wednesday & Friday for the whole 1
Month and send me the total cost , i will be paying
you with cashier check ,so get back to me with your
cost for the August to September. I have someone that
will always drive him down to your house.

Kindly get back to me with......

1.YOUR CHARGE FOR AN HOUR....

2.TOTAL CHARGES FOR 1 MONTH THAT HE WILL BE TAUGHT 3
TIMES PER WEEK..

3.FULL NAME AND ADDRESS WITH ZIP CODE....

4.YOUR PHONE NUMBER...

Don't hesitate to e-mail with your total charges.

Thanks and looking to hearing from you soon.

With Best Regards

Mrs Howard Rose


Sounds all normal, right, although that needs serious editing. Really, English people (that is, if you're really English or a mom or ....), what's up?

But the creepy part is this: her e-mail address "slavegirl22@notableserver.com"

Suffice to say, I returned the e-mail saying I'm pulling my service and promptly took down the posting from craigslist.

I don't think I'm being presumptuous in thinking there's something fishy about a mom with an e-mail id like slavegirl22. But I like to think when we pick our ids in this e-world, our choice reflects our personality. I could jokingly create mailorderbride12, but what's the first impression it's gonna get?

So, there we have it, phishing, scammers.

And this incident causes another pause. Growing up, practically everyone takes music lessons from a neighbor, or friend of a friend etc. These days, it's a scary idea to be hosting anything, anything, in your own home for fear of undesirables.

This is what our world is coming to.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments: