Monday, January 8, 2007

News We Can Use .1

Welcome to the first installment of News WE can Use. As you can see, I didn't use "You" as I am in no position to patronize anyone.

Question: What does overnight mean to you when you are mailing a package? Very likely the next day, right?

Answer: Well, the Friday before New Year's Day, I went to the local PostNet branch to mail a packet stuffed with big bills to M, who lost his only cash-acquisition card the night before.

I told the fella I wanted it to get there ASAP, overnight. He asked if I wanted it there by 3:30 p.m. or 10:30 a.m. I found out the cost difference was a mere $4. So I request for 10:30 a.m., and verified again that it is "overnight, right?"

So Saturday morning came, and I called M at 11 a.m. to verify he got the packet. He told me it didn't arrive, and he checked the tracking number on the Web site, and it stated it's already arrived in the Fedex office. But it won't be delivered until Jan 2, a Tuesday.

I was livid. Those of you who had witnessed me in a rage can imagine my outburst to Fedex when I called their 800 number. I was a complete basketcase and I was yelling and crying (yes, crying) at the customer rep about the incredibly insipid customer service I received. And how could anyone not have explained to me (like she had done on the phone) that overnight on Friday means overnight NEXT BUSINESS DAY! And how important that package is for someone who is stranded in a new place. And what they can do to make an effort to ensure he gets the package that day.

But she said there is nothing they can do. And that overnight generally means next business day, unless I specified I was overnight weekend!

So there M is, spending his first weekend with only $10, and having a long weekend to boot with little to no means.

Thankfully, for PostNet, I had a few days to calm down before I storm to the office the next business day. Which was the first thing I did on Tuesday. Well, I didn't storm in. I was actually quite professional. But I did express to the manager that I'm disgusted with the lackey who sold me the service and not have the good sense to know his job. I got a full credit on future purchase for the inconvenience.

So, the moral of the lesson is don't count on good customer service from anyone, anywhere. And hope you didn't have to go through what I did.

This concludes "News WE can Use"


No comments: