Saturday, January 6, 2007

It's Just Money, Right?

I'm so depressed I don't even know where to begin.

Ok, I still have this rental house in Georgia. Today, the renter e-mailed me and told me that the heater has gone out again. There was a patch-up fix last year apparently. Anyway, I got in touch with a plumber I trust in Augusta to recommend a HVAC guy, who promptly went to the property.

Anyway, I got a phone call from the renter that the news is not good and I'll hear it from the HVAC guy tomorrow. It appeared we have to replace the whole damn unit as the gas line has a crack in it. Because of that, HVAC guy has to shut off the line and my renters have to stay in a hotel. According to my renters, the last time we had a minor repair made, an estimate of $4600 came up to replace a unit. So we should be expecting to pay that much this time around.

Now, we aren't exactly rich. Sure, we have equity. But what's the good of that if we have no cash flow, right?

M just paid 1 month's rent, 1 month's deposit (and it's no small sum) for a rental in Chicagoland. He needs a bed. And there's the air tickets that I had bought for Feb and March. Not to mention about $470 repair sometime next month for a CV joint in the VW.

The situation really sucks right now. But what can I do? "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change/Courage to change the things I can/And the wisdom to know the difference" I keep chanting.

Afterall, it's only money, right? Our health is intact, we have roofs over our head, we have jobs. The money just will have to be re-earned in due time.

I guess it's time to bust out the credit card and suck up the interest.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy: I'm sorry to hear about all the problems. I am sure it will work out. I also hope that you might be able to, hopefully, sell the house in Augusta.

Read the contract--you could be liable to reimburse them, but if it's not spelled out, it's up to you. Mine is very specific with the current rental property but doesn't specifically state anything about temporary lodging (I'd probably go down the road to my grandparents' house, to be honest, if anything happened).

Be glad you have the credit card to bust out. Some of us are left to our own devices.

Patrick: Wow, for the first time in my life, I actually feel sympathy for a landlord. That truly sucks; hang in there.

Me: I calculated last night that I made out at least $6000 in repairs last year! Anyone knows how much Uncle Sam reimburse during tax time?

Melissa: I'm so sorry I'm just now seeing this!! My goodness! Like you said, you have so many other things to be grateful for - good health, jobs, etc - but at the same, ARGH!!!! Damn financial set backs!!! You have every right to scream (or blog!). I'll be thinking about you guys and sending you some "good rental repair" vibes!


No comments: