Saturday, September 2, 2006

Where the Wild Things Are

Since being in my home in the country for a little over a month now, the creatures are coming out of the woodwork. I only wish I have photos taken, but they won't look sightly next to the toilet paper floating in the toilet bowl where I tossed them. Gotta flush those suckers away.

First sucker: scorpion
Yup, not your typical dark shelled stinger. The 2 I've found so far are translucent white. They still have that curled tail.
The first time I found one, it was on my bathroom sink.
The second time I found one, it was on my bathroom floor.
They were both discovered in my groggy, almost-blind morning state. I could've stepped on it.

Second sucker: centipede
Before I had a chance to research on these babies, I picked it up and sent it to the porcelain bowl. Now, I found out that house centipedes are good controls for spiders and other small insects. Still, how am I to know if this centipede was a house or outside one. Apparently, outside centipedes cannot be controlled. Since I live out in the country, and surrounded by desert fauna, I better be safe than sorry.

Now, I add another routine to bedtime, flipping the covers, checking all surfaces. And to meal time, washing all cookware to make sure there ae no evidence of creepy crawlies.

This is the country lifestyle I've to compromise for being surrounded by beauty. Small price, I guess, until I'm stung or bitten by one of these creatures.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patrick:
Oh wow, and to think I got worked up over mere camel crickets and cockroaches. I can handle big spiders too, but scorpions? Aw hell no!

Christina: Ling -- had no idea you were in scorpion country. Rule #1: CHECK YOUR SHOES. If you have closed toed shoes or slippers sitting around shake them out before you put them on in the morning. Scorpions love dark moist environments, especially shoes. This was the first lesson taught to me when I visited friends in Mesa, Arizona a few years ago. They were still freaked out by the scorpions having just moved there but I told them I'd trade scorpions in exchange for no humidity, no mosquitoes and no palmetto bugs anyday!

Good thing you're checking cookware because for some reason certain lizards like to curl up in teaputs, kettles and pots. Again, I wouldn't mind doing that in exchange for never having to see another three inch palmetto bug!

Melissa: Wow!!! Scorpions!!! And inside, no less! Ewww! *shivers* I didn't know there was such a thing as a tranluscent white one!


No comments: