Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Eye Surgery Aftermath

I'm rid of my contacts and glasses.

Finally, after years of wondering and wishing, I confronted the searing laser.

The experience itself was pleasant -- my eye care center consultant was there to allow me to squeeze her tiny fingers and there pre and post-operation as well to asure me everything was going to be OK.

It was.

The only scary part is doing all the research before that and not knowing what the experience was going to be like.

For those who are considering laser eye surgery, other than having to find out who the trusted local surgeons are in your area, the only advice I can offer is GO DO IT!

I went through a battery of tests a few days before my operation, and on the day itself was provided plenty of numbing drops. I didn't feel except for the pressure of the little brush clearing away the epithelium (the topmost thin layer of the cornea) and then it's to stare straight into the orange light.

How did I keep my stare without blinking? Easy. Tape was plastered around my eyes to hold a Clockwork Orange-like contraption that prys my eyes open. Again, no pain.

A few seconds of the laser zapping away at my cornea and a bandage contact lens was put over my cornea to protect it as it heals.

I was told to expect lots of pain on the 3rd day, and fluctuating vision.

Sunday came, and no pain.

Today, I went for my 2nd post-op checkup, which included removal of my bandage contact lens. The verdict -- because I took care to use my medicated drops, lubricating drops, daily dose of Vitamin C etc, that my healing is remarkable.

Although I do not have perfect vision now (nearsightness has some blurriness), I can still make my way around really well.

For clarification, I did not have Lasik. I had PRK.

Lasik involves the cutting of the epithelium (resulting in a flap, which after the cornea lasering, the flap is restored and set to heal.

PRK involves the brushing away of the epithelium (no flap here), cornea lasering, and bandage contact lens, and new epithelium cells growth.

Flap for one, no flap for the other. Simple.

Another difference, Lasik vision restoration is almost instant. PRK is slower -- takes a few weeks to 3 months.

No comments: