Monday, September 25, 2006

Happiest Place on Earth? Not Really

Tomorrow, I am setting off for a vacation I looked forward to since June, July? But I probably will be sobbing a little (I always cry at airports) as I make my way to check-in solo.

Some of you were recipients of my panic phone a few days ago when I found out from M that he had to cancel his end.

The root of this evil once again lies in the corporate tools. He went to KC at almost the eleventh hour last week for some corporate deal. I received a phone call the night before he's scheduled to return that he won't be able to make the vacation as some last-minute budget adjustments must be made. Needless to say, I'm devastated. And so was the rest of his family, whom we'll be having this unofficial mini-vacation with.

Hence, the rabid phone calls I made to friends who have kids or who are single to see if they want to take over his Disney packet. After all the panic, my sil managed to get her nephew to join us, I found out last night. All is almost well again. We didn't lose the money, and M's airfare with Southwest can be used for up to one year from day of purchase, with no penalty charge. One hurrah for Southwest.

But what makes me ill and so ironic is that we are going to the supposed happiest place on earth, and I doubt I can be truly happy without him there.

Feminists may deem me weak, that I need a man to make me happy, and that I can't be independent enough to enjoy by myself and with my other loved ones (I'm fortunate my in-laws and I get along fabulously). But he truly is my better half, and life is just simply more enjoyable with him around.

The other frustration is that while I'm enjoying myself in Orlando, M is toiling away for THE MAN (yes, we are actually serving the real man/men, keeping their McMansions, and golf club memberships intact). It's too infuriating. And there's nothing right now we can do anything about it. And really, that's another blog for another time, when I'm sure there're no "traitors" in friends of friends who will let slip my hatred for THE CORPORATION.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy: In regards to the last paragraph, you have a "fellow traveler" in me. Just in time for Wednesday's "employee appreciation day" where everyone who doesn't work with the public can dress down. That's never meant me.

Patrick: Wait, you're going to the happiest place on earth? You should have told me you were coming to New York City; I'd totally be your tour guide!

Christina: You know you're preaching to the choir when you're talking about how evil THE CORPORATION is. And now THE CORPORATION and its minions have hacked me off even more by ruining your vacation with Mark. Comfort yourself that someday the corporation, The Man and his minions will burn in a very special room on the 13th ring of Hell. I've asked some of my associates at Vatican Central to help arrange this...

No comments: