Sunday, January 1, 2006

An ominous start to 2006?

Ah, the infamous sandstorm of Lubbock, TX.

I finally got to witness it early New Year's Day.

I had been warned over Christmas by a former resident of Lubbock that when the dust kick up, not even the tighest window could keep out the silt. I hope I never have to experience that. I did, however, bit on some dust. I had to wash out my contacts soon. I could feel the microscopic particle(s).

What I did witness is the spectacular strength of the wind, reported at 53 mph at the National Weather Service Web site. Temperature in the highs of 75 degrees. The wooden fences that line the back yard are rocking, and if I look hard, wisps of dust are kicked around in the air. Even the rare bird or two that dared to venture was struggling against the wind.

Let's hope that the condition does not escalate through the evening. With the low humidity and gusty winds, I fear that some moronic resident would attempt to light up some fireworks. Furthermore, I wonder if this condition is similar in Dallas. Maybe the skyscrapers will tone it down some. Let's hope so, or the Cotton Bowl tomorrow will be insufferable for the players and spectators, M and I among the latter.

Note the dark blue of the shed in the neighbor's yard against the sky. Also note that picture is about one shade darker that current conditions.

No comments: