Thursday, January 5, 2006

Job SHITuation

Does this happen in your corner of the country where every job, be it professional degreed or blue-collar, commands the same level of commitment yet pays the same? Something just doesn't sit right here.

I have interviewed at small publications, advertising agencies, even as a non-interior design required decorator at a furniture store, and have been offered the same pathetic low pay. I'm the queen of 2nd interviews or callbacks. I told the same earnest truth of the level of expertise and dedication that I will bring to the job. They all seem impressed. But all they could "afford for the position" is an insulting $xx,xxx.

I'm too ashamed to list the figures. I would hate for word to get around to my old colleagues and be either sympathized or worse, mocked. (I love you all but I know about 'em loose lips around the beer garden.)

It appears there is no consideration for "commensurate with experience" nor a college degree nor the knowledge of various computer programs. They want the talent but they won't pay for it. Which may explain the generally appalling work ethics and quality I've witnessed around here.

I truly am giving up. I felt I'll be better off with a relatively stress-free, 9-5 vocation than pursue my passion for the same pay. Afterall, the quality of life will be better. I won't be bringing work home with me, and how to schedule my vacations around it.

Seriously, Chronicle folks, the pay there is NOT shabby at all.

News folks, don't let the daily grind get to you. You know it's just going to repeat its cycle.

Just roll with the punches and let the stress go like water off a duck's back. I've been there and I'm here. I know what I'm talking about.

No comments: