Sunday, January 15, 2006

Money is no substitute for quality time

I am beside myself with delirium. After months of agonizing if I should spend money we don't have (my husband differs but he's the generous one), we finally forked over a huge chunk of change for a round-trip ticket home.

Some of you know that I've been lamenting in recent years the long distance from my family. Each phone call home, I am updated with tales of how my 10-years-and-younger cousins and niece are growing up so quickly. These stories always bring a lump to my throat, which I never share with my mom. Not only do I miss out on their formative years, I am sure I am also almost a nonexistent entity to these young relations. Sure, the older ones know who I am. But I'm simply a distant relative, not one who is there to be a viable part of their lives.

Furthermore, my only surviving and most favorite grandparent is now 93. I want to be sure to be able to spend as much time I possibly can with him. And of course, my long-suffering mother, who's been patient with me from day one, and whose relationship with me in recent years has been more solidified than ever. Her health is declining, which makes her visits to me more strenous and infrequent. She always jokes about being a surrogate grandparent to my cousin's daughter, and her brother's children. But behind those jokes, she is secretly wishing my brother and I would soon produce some offspring for her. (We're working on it, ma. Pray for us. hahaha)

This visit will be extra special, too, as it will coincide with the celebration of Chinese New Year. It's been more than a decade since I've had a reunion dinner, which is much like Thanksgiving in this country.

Isn't it funny how most of us cannot wait to be away from our family when we were younger? As we mature, we crave for their advice, company, and admit our love for them?

It will also be special since I've reunited with a couple of old buddies from high school. I cannot wait to see their children, catch up, and reminisc about our youth.

While this trip will have me watching my pursestring tightly, it will definitely be one that will be worth every penny. The only downside is I'll be spending a month away from M (boy, do I sound like a newlywed or what? LOL), who will be on a tuna fish diet and possibly dining alone during his lunch hours.

Thankfully, he has the unconditional love of Bentley and Bubba to return to every night.

No comments: