Monday, August 18, 2008

There goes the vacation plans

This afternoon, late of course, I received a call from my tenant in Augusta, that only a few electrical outlets are operational, and no electricity is available in the house.

How long has it been, I asked. Turns out he had been battling it since the weekend. Poor things.

He wasn't stressed, and I'm grateful for it. So I shouldn't either.

But at 4 p.m. CST, 5 p.m. EST, how on earth am I able to find an electrician to head on over? I called the contacts I have and had a couple of recommendations. But one of them couldn't go over until morning. Of course.

It sounds like one heck of an expensive job. The circuit breaker is not working, and I fear the entire old house has to be rewired. Ouch. I may have to take out a home equity loan. I don't even know how that works.

Home ownership is overrated and sucks. But if I should take away any lesson all these years from home ownership is that repairs are going to happen, sometimes they are affordable, sometimes not. There's nothing to do but be responsible landlords and adults, and take care of business.

3 comments:

rptrcub said...

As a tenant (and one for the foreseeable future), I'd have to say you're a good one. However, this is one of the reasons I don't purchase anything.

melmunn said...

Ohhh no! I'm so sorry about this! But I know exactly what you're going through. A few months ago, I had to replace my hot water heater. And upon further inspection, it turned out my entire electrical circuit breaker box was a fire hazard. Had to replace that and the hot water heater in one pop. Close to $6000. Yipppeeeee!!! One of the "fun" parts of owning!

The New Low said...

$6000. Ouch!
Here's the update: we have to replace the outside line. Georgia Power has to be called to the scene by the electrician. He is replacing the fuse.
Pain to date: $1500