Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Something so basic

We finally got a bed, the real deal like headboards and rails. After 10 years together, we finally have a real bed.

We've been sleeping on an IKEA mattress on the floor for the last year, and I had kinda gotten used to it. But my boxsprings arrived yesterday, and before we had time to put the bed together, we decided to prop the mattress on the box spring. Oh My Freaking Goodness, what a difference a GOOD boxspring makes.

I had other boxsprings before but I don't think they are that superior. And honestly, for less than $400 for a set of boxsprings (we have a king bed now), they make a world of difference. I actually feel the support. Perhaps my getting older has gotten me sensitized to feelings of comfort in my old bones.

So the moral of the story is, if you guys are still sleeping on futon beds, or mattress on the floor, then save up and get yourself a good boxspring. Mine is a Sealy Posturepedic. And don't go for the coils. Overtime, they will lose their springiness and you'll definitely feel the pain.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Patrick: Aw, I wish I had the room for a real mattress. It's hard enough to lift a futon mattress up eight feet onto my loft bed. Sweet dreams!

Me: Funnily, I was thinking of you when I wrote that, wondering how the small apartment in NYC would allow for any decent furniture.

Patrick: It forces one to be creative. I'm going to take a slew of pictures of the place this week, and you'll see what I mean.

Christina: Good for you! I recently finally replaced my 20-year-old mattress and boxspring with a brand new one I bought from a former co-worker moving away. She had spent like $500 on this awesome mattress and boxspring set plus wrought iron bed frame, put it in her guest room, and never used it, then decided to move to Canada. I got a great deal on it! It does make a difference to have a quality mattress and boxspring -- I speak as an ancient mattress/futon veteran of many years!

No comments: