Monday, February 12, 2007

Crossroads

It just struck me that I don't know what I want to do when I arrive in Chicago.

The realization that there is a wealth of opportunities there compared to Augusta, Lubbock, Wichita, leaves me with this overwhelming feeling that I can do anything.

But having so many choices pose some challenges: What do I want to do? What should I do? What can I do?

Thirteen years of work, of which 12 are spent in newspaper editorial, and 1 in sales research. It seems I would be relegated to the publishing arena. But those of you who have been loyal readers of my blogs get a sense I want out of the newspaper business. The hours, dwindling profit margin, pay are not appealing. On the other hand, if I return to newspapering, I know I can continue to demand a higher pay scale given my experience (please don't be mistaken I make a lot).

Being more extroverted, sales and marketing seem logical. Here're some options I can think of:

Sales: I've no experience, but I like the idea of pursuing the almighty dollar, that given hard work, will have no boundaries. Real estate comes to mind. The downside of that: first year is a bitch since I've no contacts or connections. Not to mention the hours for being an agent is going to take me away in the evenings and weekends. Agencies are another option.With my newspaper background, maybe they will accept someone with my experience to be the print liason. I can certainly lend my editing/design experience to agency work.

Marketing: Again, no experience. Maybe the research and one year in sales department will help. The downside: event marketing, like real estate, demands odd hours and weekends.

Research: ABC Audit, AC Nielsens and a host of agencies and corporations are headquartered in the suburbs of Chicago. With one year of experience here, will they accept me as a junior member? The pay may not be great to start, but I definitely enjoy what I do. Downside: I don't know what to expect of the REAL world of REAL research. Afterall, I've no statistics, economics or math degrees under my belt.

Any advice for this old workhorse?

No comments: