Sunday, November 23, 2008

Roadside Illinois 1

Every state, particularly Kansas IMHO, has a lot of superlatives to claim for quirky roadside attractions -- think biggest ball of twine, biggest hole, biggest farm machinery, biggest barb wire museum etc.

Illinois, and my nearby Chicagoland suburbs, has its own to brag about, too.

The husband first alerted me to the Leaning of Tower of Pisa copy, and he drove me to it yesterday en route to the Museum of Science and Industry. And was I bowled over by it.

It is in the city/village of Niles. And it is a beautiful replica of the real thing. Along the driveway, there is also a telephone booth (sans phone) with the Italian "Telefono" sign. Hilarious.

I present to you, the Leaning Tower of Niles, essentially a water tower. And it stands in the grounds of the Niles YMCA, aptly named Leaning Tower YMCA.

4 comments:

Amber said...

That's awesome! :)

Iowa has tons of little roadside attractions and museums... maybe it's something about the Midwest. My favorite is the world's largest truck stop on I-80 as soon as you cross into Iowa from Illinois.

rptrcub said...

There's something about the Midwest which leads to these things. I still want to go see that statue of Superman out in rural Illinois.

About all we have are various peaches, the Iron Horse in a pasture in Athens, and the Big Chicken over near me in Marietta.

Geggie said...

So funny! I drove by this for the first time on Thursday. It's crazy!

The New Low said...

Yes, the Superman in Metropolis, Illinois is a must see. It's quite amazing for a giant fibreglass tribute.