Monday, July 2, 2007

Sadly, I'm no sage

I thought I'd kill plenty of birds with one stone by sharing that one year older does not translate to one year wiser for me.

It's difficult to have a good birthday, even on a weekend, if a pessimistic person like me is surrounded by family and friends, consisting of an ADD child, a constantly ailing and repetitive family member-in-law, and headaches of an empty house in Georgia reeking of wet dog.

So, that, in a nutshell is how my birthday went.

I really shouldn't be making a big deal out of a birthay, and more so, shouldn't let others affect my perspective of how a special day should be celebrated. I suppose if I were to employ psychology to why my expectations of this day is high at all, it would harken to my childhood when my mom would make a fuss of helping me plan a small party, to which my good friends would be invited, and mom would make me a fab cake, and I was loaded with tons of presents from all.

But being 36 now, I should be wiser. I really don't seek gifts. I have enough crap given to me and I can't wait to bring my house to the Minimalist standard(OK, not that drastic, but you know what I mean).

I just don't want to spend my days taking care of others. Instead, I want someone tend to MY needs for JUST ONE DAY. Alas, that was not to be. The husband did promise to make it up to me next week in Vegas. I already guessed the gift he was getting me and I can't change his mind not to do it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christina: I can identify with your entire post. I guess the only thing worse than what you experienced on a birthday is what happened on mine...my two oldest friends who I have known since high school BOTH forgot. But I'm sorry yours wasn't good. Birthdays can be difficult. I also can identify with the my needs problem. It seems to me I've spent about the past three weeks worrying about pleasing everybody else and not one person has asked if there's anything I personally need or would enjoy. Oh well...I hope you feel better! And I'm sorry I didn't know it was your birthday. I suck.


No comments: