Friday, March 16, 2007

I wil blog more about this in another month or so when I get to Chicago and have internet connection, but here it is in a nutshell:

I was called into HR at 2 p.m. today to be told that it is my last day, not April 23. Their reason: I'm leaving eventually, and the company is going through major financial distress (they froze positions and pay raises about 2 weeks ago), and they have no plans to rehire for my position.

So, this is my last post until my access to the internet.

Since I won't have internet access, I still have my phone and would love to hear from y'all. 806-252-4654

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeremy:

Damn, I'm sorry. So you got screwed over by Morris, too, when you left? I got f**ked over when I left too, because initially I thought I had 17 days of vacation/PTO to burn, then come back one day and do the exit interviews. WRONG! Those days "are there based on a promise that you'll work the entire year, so you accrue only a few days." I got shafted out of pay I needed, considering I only got paid for a 1/2 month at the end of January at KSU. (You get paid an annualized salary with the university system, payable once a month on the last working day of the month--so you have to be VERY good with budgeting and not spending a bunch of money all in one fell swoop.)

They're not rehiring my position either at The Chronicle--it was posted internally, very briefly, then it disappeared, according to those still enslaved at Billy's farm.

No I ain't gonna work on Billy's farm no more....

Me: I stick to the general rule of never speaking ill of the employer, but damn, Morris is ________(fill in the blanks). I tell you what, I'm glad those of us who got to get out did. Can you imagine toiling for the corporation till you're ready for retirement?

Christina: Jeez, Ling, I am so sorry this happened. As you told me the other day on the phone before we got rudely cut off (I was driving into a rural part of the County that is lucky to have electricity, much less cell phone access!) Proof positive that newspaper companies truly SUCK! In the long run you are better off rid of them!

No comments: